24 May 2011

Excerpts

I won't say much because I'd be a hypocrite in asking you to read the words of a fat, unmotivated slob. But here are some words that aren't mine that I hope will transform your thoughts into actions and fill your minds with images of success and dedication (and reassure you that you're not alone).



I have to eat, I can't live by the word of God alone, no matter what scripture says; I need bread too. Damn the human stomach, this fat betrayer of my ideals.
-Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire 
(a rather dull and badly-written book overall, in my opinion, but it does have many memorable quotes)

I was aware of the life-or-death ramifications of self-starvation. But my alter ego of sorts was equally convinced that losing more was a matter of life and death.
-Get Me Out of Here: My Recovery from Borderline Personality Disorder by Rachel Reiland
(have not read the whole book yet...)

The moment you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long.

The darkest night is often the bridge to the brightest tomorrow.
-Jonathan Lockwood Huie

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
-Albert Einstein

It is only through labour and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
-Theodore Roosevelt

You have power over your mind -- not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.
-Marcus Aurelius

Achievement seems to be connected with action. Successful men and women keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit.
- Conrad Hilton

Whatever you want in life, you must give up something to get it. The greater the value, the greater the sacrifice required of you. There's a price to pay if you want to make things better, and a price you'll pay for just leaving things as they are. Nothing worthwhile comes easily to anyone. Work, continuous work and hard work, is the only way to accomplish results that last.

I’m quite harmless now you see. To you. And now nobody can hurt me on the inside. I have this trick—anything you can do to me, I do to myself already. And I hit harder than you ever could.
–Second Star to the Right by Deborah Hautzig
(I'm sure most of you have seen this some place or another)

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'
-Mary Anne Radmacher




Keep accomplishing your goals, ladies.

3 comments:

  1. here i am again catching up on your posts at 2:30 am. i'm back to not sleeping, & not restricting, & not-not purging, & lots of binging. i've hit a bad place again & that's why i haven't been posting.
    but i miss you. so i came to check up, & as always, you're inspiring. as a matter of fact, you've inspired me to go lay down tonight, maybe to try to catch a bit of shut-eye.
    it might be weird, but i'm glad your here in toronto because it makes me feel a little less alone. just that somewhere out there in this big city (i'm still here too!) there's someone who understands me.
    i know you're right about bloggers being blamed for ed's, & i sure as hell hope no one ever finds mine & takes ideas trying to follow my path, & that i had an ed well before i came to accept it, but how someone develops theirs is a mystery to me. yes you're right about fantasizing about models & hearing about it in the media, but i think mine was just a piece of ocd in times i felt out of control. i think mine stemmed from my own mind.
    do you think your brain grabbed some sort of idea from outside influences that caused your ed?
    tomorrow i will try to keep some of your inspirational quotes in mind as i go about my day & i'll try my best to do better.
    staystrong, page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. * i would like to note that for the last few weeks i've been compulsively checking your blog for new posts every couple days even if i don't go on blogger.
    i miss you.

    ReplyDelete